Appointment is the process used to put an employee on payroll through University Global Employment Systems (GEMS) which is housed under University Human Resources department. Nine month employees are appointed for academic year and can have summer supplemental appointments for teaching a course depending on the availability of funding. Available supplemental appointments for the faculty shall be offered equitably and as appropriate to qualified employees using criteria set by each department/unit. Generally, all the summer instructional appointment will be paid through summer fund 13000. Faculty can also appoint themselves for the summer from other sources of funds (e.g. overhead/grants/internal awards etc.) available to them.
Frequency: April to August
Instructional funding for summer usually is provided by the College through Provost Office. The following is the procedure for summer instructional appointments.
- The College sends out Summer Forms with instructions to the dept. in early spring (January-March).
- Department fill out the forms and send it to the College.
- College will analyze the courses and once summer funding is finalized, the College will notify approved courses via spreadsheet to the department before student start registering for summer courses and before Human Resources guaranteed deadline for summer appointment.
- Based on the approved summer courses, departments process the appointment papers.
- Faculty/adjuncts appointment papers needs to be sent to Nita Desai and all the GA’s/TA’s appointment papers go to Lisa Mirabal. Original adjunct letters needs to be sign by the Chair/Dean and Employee and attached with APSF. After Dean’s office review and verification, they will be submitted to Human Resources for Processing.
For non-instructional summer appointments paid by other source of funds, the department needs to make sure that funding is available to support that appointment and chart field combination code have been established to pay for this appointments. Appointments on research grant must adhere to research guidelines as appropriated in the proposal. (Please note any benefits paid will charged to the project and should be included with the salaried calculation.)
Related Business Processes
Predecessors: Approval of Summer Funding, new awards or grant and existing grants and awards
Successors: Monthly reconciliation of Remaining Spending Authority (RSA)
College Level Contact
College of Arts & Sciences Dean's Office
University Links & Training Opportunities
College of Arts
Summer calculation spreadsheet...xls
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This page is designed to answer some basic questions about summer appointments for faculty/adjunct and TA’s.
- When would I know about summer appointments?
College will submit the initial form to department in early spring semester and later submit the listing of final approval of courses before H.R. guaranteed deadline for summer.
- When is the H.R. guaranteed deadline?
H.R. website will list the summer guaranteed deadlines. College as well as H.R. will also send e-mail notification of those guaranteed deadline.
- Why do we have to appoint faculty at certain FTE for teaching a course?
Summer School FTE is computed at .0833 per credit hour for standard lecture, on-line and laboratory courses regardless of the session in which the course is taught per UFF agreement.
- I don’t know how to calculate FTE or summer Salary for faculty or adjuncts, what should I do? Summer compensation is computed at 12.5% of the faculty member’s 9 month salary per a 3 hour credit course, capped at the level of $4,167 per credit hour for each course taught or for 3 hours course cap at $12,500. Please refer to the excel spreadsheet stated above. If this is your first time working with summer, contact Nita Desai and schedule an appointment with her and she will go over the summer. You can also e-mail her with any questions you may have on summer or visit Human Resources website.
- What % of fringe benefits do I need to calculate for faculty summer appointments?
Summer benefits for faculty varies from 16% to 19% depending on what type of retirement plan individual faculty are enrolled in. Retirement % changes each year on July 1. Please call Nita Desai for updated information.
- If I have any questions on the Graduate Assistants (TA’s or RA’) who should I call?
Lisa Mirabal, telephone #4-6927.
- Who do I send adjunct letter of offer in the Dean’s Office for signature?
Ly Nguyen, telephone #4-9578
- How do we appoint international students in summer if they are taking any courses and who do I send those appointment paper to?
For those students who are not enrolled, please prepare an appt paper with 9190 code with remarks “Foreign national not enrolled in the summer”. Send your appointment papers to Nita Desai. Please also visit the H.R. website for updated information.
- Why do we use unique fund for summer for instructional and do I have to use this?
Yes, all the departments are required to established fund 13000 for summer instructional course. This will identify the summer expenditures and also help reporting student credit hours for summer.
- I have a faculty member who received the internal award with the chart field information and would like to established combination code which form needs to be filled out and where can I find it?
Go to USF payroll website and print the form “New GEMS combo code” and payroll will notify you once the combo code has been established in the system.
How many hrs students need to take in summer to qualify to be appointed on student status? For UG they have to enroll for 6 credit hours and graduate students needs to enroll for 5 credit hours. Go to Human Resources website for updated information.